- Your Government
- Adult-Use Cannabis Information
Adult-Use Cannabis Information
The state of Illinois has approved the use of recreational cannabis, beginning January 1, 2020. This decision will allow the use of recreational cannabis (with restrictions) in all Illinois municipalities, including Deer Park. Below is information on recreational cannabis in the Village of Deer Park.
The Village of Deer Park may prohibit or significantly limit the location of recreational cannabis businesses by ordinance. The Recreational Cannabis Act itself prohibits a new cannabis dispensary from locating within 1,500 feet of another dispensary. If the Village chooses to permit recreational cannabis dispensaries within its borders, then it may designate a zoning district within which cannabis businesses may be allowed as special use and enact reasonable zoning regulations such as standards for parking, signs, separation from residential or other sensitive uses, and hours of operation, among other things.
The Recreational Cannabis Act sets tax rates on both wholesale transactions by cultivators and retail sales by dispensaries. It also authorizes counties and municipalities to impose local taxes on retail sales including an optional tax up to 3%.
Adult-Use Cannabis Informational Video Presentation
- When was cannabis legalized in Illinois?
- Can the consumption/possession of cannabis be banned by a local municipality?
- Will the Village have any regulatory abilities?
- Does the Act itself restrict the location of cannabis business or advertising?
- What will the Village's role be in the licensing process?
- What regulatory abilities, if any, do business owners and landlords have?
- Who can legally purchase and consume cannabis?
- Who can legally grow and sell recreational cannabis?
- How much cannabis can an individual possess?
- What is the legal limit of THC blood concentration for a DUI in Illinois?
- Will cannabis consumption be allowed in public spaces?
- Where will consumption be allowed?
- Who will be allowed to possess cannabis in Illinois in a vehicle under the new law?
- Are there any changes to existing medical cannabis laws?
- How is cannabis taxed?
- How will the potential tax revenue generated be used?
- How will the potential tax revenue from the (3%) tax be used by Deer Park
- How do federal laws affect Illinois law?
- How will the Village manage public safety if a dispensary is allowed in the Village?
- What are some of the potential impacts to the State's decision to allow recreational marijuana use when it comes to policing?
- How does recreational cannabis affect criminal records?
- How can I share my thoughts or opinions on this topic as a resident?