Lake County Sheriff’s Office • 25 South Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue• Waukegan, Illinois 60085
For Immediate Release
If you See Something, Say Something!
Sheriff Mark Curran urges the community, ‘If You See Something, Say Something!’
Tips and information from the community often aid law enforcement in identifying potential threats, problems, concerns, or issues. Members of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office respond to and investigate tips and information provided by the community. When a tip or information is received, members of the sheriff’s office collaborate with community partners to investigate and intervene.
Passing along the following types of information can be very important, such as:
- If you overhear someone threatening or planning to cause violence on a mass level or on an isolated level
- A threatening or concerning post you see on social media
- A concerning change in someone’s behavior, where they appear to focus their troubles and anger on their employment, place of worship, or school
- Something unusual or out of place
- For example, in your everyday routine, an unknown vehicle parked in an odd location, or a stranger who appears to be placing a business, residence, or person under surveillance
- School bullying should always be reported to school officials promptly
In 2006, Sheriff Curran created a School Safety Team, which over the years expanded and transitioned into the Lake County Sheriff’s Community Safety Team. The Community Safety Team focuses their attention and efforts working with schools and other community organizations to train on emergency protocols and following best practices.
Sheriff Mark Curran said, “It’s not uncommon for a tip from the public to have significant results. I urge the community, if you see something, say something! We take community tips very seriously and we would rather respond to a false alarm than miss the opportunity to intervene prior to a tragic situation.”
For more information on the Community Safety Team, please visit: http://www.lakecountyil.gov/4010/Community-Safety-Team
To anonymously report a tip (photos can be included), please visit:
End of Release