News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/18/2017 9:13:59 AM to 8/6/2017 12:00:09 AM.
Latest Deer Park News
Posted on: July 18, 2017
[ARCHIVED] Flood Related Fraud
|Lake County Sheriff’s Office • 25 South Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue• Waukegan, Illinois 60085|
For Immediate Release
Be Aware of Flood Related Fraud
The Lake County Sheriff’s Office reminds Lake County residents of the increased risk of scammers attempting to capitalize on those impacted by flooding. Often, in times of natural disaster there is an increase in door-to-door criminals attempting to solicit fraudulent business. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office and Lake County Emergency Operations Center have seen an increase in inquiries from the community who feel they may have fallen prey to one of these scams.
Some safety tips include:
Sheriff Mark Curran said, “Scammers target the vulnerable and with the devastating impacts we’ve seen from the flooding, they will likely be out in force. Remember, check with your local village, township, or insurance company to verify the credibility of the service provider. Please pass this information along to any family or friends who have been impacted by the flooding.”
- Check with the Better Business Bureau and your insurance company to determine the credibility of the service provider.
- Do not let anybody inside of your home, unless you have initiated the appointment.
- Obtain several (three or more) estimates for repair work.
- Take photographs of your contractor and any work vehicles.
- Before work begins, obtain a written contract.
- If you see or detect anything suspicious, contact your local law enforcement agency.
End of Release